Okay, what the hell just happened here? This little girl just thanked me for turning into a monster and scaring the piss out of a drunk? She's not screaming and running, calling for the cops? This is waaay beyond my experience of humans….
Well, her boyfriend is apparently a gargoyle, so maybe she can forgive my appearance, but still… I just vamped-out completely, and most of the people who've see me do that are dead - and she's sitting here cool as Baskin-Robbins.
I risk a look at Raina and she's smiling, laughing at something Alise has said. What she's not doing is trying to drive her tanto through my heart. Alise is petting Kitty-Cat, making a big fuss over him, as unconcerned over the big bad vamp not two strides away as if I were the chair she'd been sitting in.
My head hurts….
I'm lost in thought when Patti comes over. "Excuse me, sir," she says politely. "The owner would like for you to have a drink on the house. We have some fresh beef blood. Would you care for a glass?"
I stare incredulously. Did she just…?
I shut my mouth with a decisive snap. "I'll have a lite," I say, "a blood lite."
Patti rolls her eyes - Yeah, like I've never heard that one before! - but smiles politely and goes to get my order. She returns with a tall glass of blood, still steaming. My nostrils flare - oh God, it's the real thing! - and I knock back a quarter of it at a time.
I tip my glass in the direction of the bar. "To Pandora and Patti" - then turn to my right - "to Raina and Alise. Life, light and love all your days" - my voice develops a Hibernian lilt - "and may ye be in Heaven half an hour before the divil knows ye're dead!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments... we get comments....