Monday, May 23, 2011








Not having the truck at our disposal, I set Phoenix loose and - after some preliminary flying, just to limber up - he settles down and lets us climb on. We get a good grip and he takes off, his wingbeats sounding like thunder in our ears.

The trip is short; anywhere within Exton is short where Phoenix is concerned - and we land lightly and make for the cabin. My sword is in my hand as I unlock the door and Star stands outside until I make certain we have no uninvited guests. Keon is there, and Pike, but they're supposed to be there.... I tell Phoenix to go make a night of it, but be back by morning; then I wave Star in and we lock up.

She moves into my arms and I hold her close, thinking how close we came tonight... Tomorrow I really am going to have to talk to her about acting on impulse... but tonight she needs to rest, and so do I.

"I'm sorry, Erik," she says, anguish clearly written on her face. "I was wrong to run off like that, I know that now... I scared everyone who's looking out for me, and I put you all in danger... And it didn't help Alise or her family. I was wrong, and I'm sorry."

I kiss her silver-blonde hair. "It was a mistake, Princess, and it could have been a serious one - but this time we got away with it. Next time we might not be so lucky. Tomorrow... tomorrow we'll talk more about this, but tonight I just want to go to bed holding you, and remember how lucky I am."

"I love you, Erik." Her voice is hushed. "I'm lucky, too, to have you and Mera and Ruarc... I love you all so much."

We get undressed in silence. She pulls back the covers and climbs into bed and I climb in next to her, pulling her warm little body tight against mine. Her eyes are pink now, and her mouth is wet... She kisses me with all the passion of her nature, and I respond with all the fire in mine.

It might be a while before we get to sleep after all....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments... we get comments....