Thursday, January 27, 2011









Star seems afraid - and who can blame her? Keon's Hound, as he calls it, is the size of a small pony.

"It's all right, beloved," I say quietly. "I challenged Lord Blackthorne recently to give weight to his fair words by fair actions. It seems only fair on our part to give him the opportunity to do so."

I step out into the light where Keon and his companion can see me. The Fae are not the only ones who know woodcraft. Thus they can also see clearly that Dragon's Claw is belted at my side, and sheathed - for now. I go to stand at Star's side, leaving my sword hand free for action.

"Do as you must. The bedroom has been closed off almost continuously since it happened. To my certain knowledge, only Star and I - and now Raina - have entered it since.

But be aware, Lord Blackthorne - this is your only chance to gather your evidence. Once you have done, I intend to gut out that room and burn everything in it."

Now I offer my hand for the Hound to sniff, well aware that he could bite it off at the wrist, as Fenris did to Tyr, before I could react. But then, Tyr was no less a warrior for having but one hand; nor shall I be, should it come to that.

I get my hand back in one piece, then Raina offers hers, and finally Star is scented by the great beast. It looks expectant, but I'm no good at reading canine faces.

"Is your Hound waiting for a treat or something?"

Keon almost smiles. "It would seem the mistrust is not entirely one-sided. The fae can alter the scent of their extremities at will, and your lady friend is half-Fae."

"So what precisely would be considered a true scent?"

"The head or face."

I stand thinking for a moment. "Your Hound expects her to permit something that looks like a cross between a wolf and a T-Rex to sniff her face?"

Keon smiles gently. "Exactly."

I think a moment more, then draw Dragon's Claw with a hiss. "Let him do what he needs, but be aware - if I see anything that even looks suspicious, I'm going to decapitate first and ask questions later."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments... we get comments....