Monday, January 24, 2011









I sigh. How can I explain what I don't really understand myself?

"I can only tell you what I've seen and heard about, sweetheart; Nick and Raina's way of doing things isn't mine, and I don't really understand it, either.

Some people - some couples - can separate love from sex. For them, sex is about pleasure, and they don't want to share pleasure with just one person. Part of that, I guess, is that different people have different skills in the bedroom, and they don't want to be limited to just what their partner can do for the rest of their lives. I guess when you can live pretty much forever, the idea of having sex with just one person for the rest of your life sounds boring, so they invite others into their bed for the sake of variety - but they reserve love only for each other.

Now as to being with another man - that's not something that has ever appealed to me, and I can't believe it ever will. Something about it turns me off, though I don't think there's anything morally wrong with it. If it works for Nick, then more power to Nick, I'm happy for him, so long as he doesn't hurt Raina; but it would be wrong for me. Does that make any sense at all?"

Stat doesn't answer in words, but there's a smile on her face now that wasn't there a minute ago. She draws me into her arms and leans her face against my chest and cries quietly, like she does everything. I'm not sure exactly how to respond to that, so I just wrap my arms around her and continue.

"For myself... I've lived a rough life, most of it as a warrior. I've had my fill of women who can be had for the price of a drink. I want a woman who's mine, and mine alone; and in return I'll be hers, and hers alone.

That woman is you, Star, if you'll have me. You and no other, forever, or as much of it as we have left."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments... we get comments....