My long strides carry me back to the Tavern, faster than I usually walk, almost like someone who thinks he's being followed - but that's not it. Raina knows I'm a vampire; she knows that I have to drink blood to live, and she knows that I have to kill to get it. Now the question is: can she deal with that? I need to know so I can determine whether there's any hope for us, or if I should walk away.
The door seems loud as it closes behind me. I give Patti a tight smile, then cross the room on long legs, heading for the stairs - but there's no need. Raina's sitting at a table with an extremely pretty lady, talking and laughing… but something….
I'm no psychic, but predators - like me - tend to develop a kind of sixth sense for trouble, and something is decidedly off-kilter tonight. I look around casually and see a man sitting by himself. He's handsome in an arrogant sort of way and he's giving off Badass Vibes that I can almost see. I catch a whiff of his scent and something tickles at my memory, but it's elusive and I can't get a handle on it.
Just in case… I slip my hand inside my duster and walk through a complicated gesture, stopping just before the end of it. I feel the familiar tingle in the palm of my hand. Good. I'll never be the sorcerer the old man was - or maybe still is - but I've picked up a few tricks here and there…. Johnny will be ready if he's needed.
I catch Raina's eye, give her a smile and find a booth in the back where I can keep one eye on the stranger and the other on Raina's table. Nothing to do now but wait….
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments... we get comments....