Friday, April 22, 2011









Star was awake instantly when Ruarc started to fuss. He was snuggled in between his parents but Erik was fast asleep and didnt seem to notice. Star slowly sat up and lifted the baby to her breast where he instantly quieted.

She let her thoughts roam as the baby nursed and her gaze settled on Erik. She smiles, glad that her husband can get some much needed rest.

Just then Raina sticks her head in. “Need anything?” she whispers. “I heard the baby fussing...”Star shakes her and whispers, “Come in and talk to me.”

“Okay, but we dont have to whisper. The Manse could fall around our ears and he wont wake up “ Raina grins gesturing towards the sleeping form of her brother.

They sat in contented silence for a few minutes, Star softly running a hand over the little ones head.

Raina reaches over and pushes a stray silver strand behind a pointed ear tip. “You never have to worry about Erik leaving you. He loves you as much as you love him.”

Nodding Star says softly, “I know that now. And I know why your sister told me about things happening the way they are supposed to and why this is the only baby Erik and I will have of our own.”

“You do? Tell me...”

“Well...” Star sighs and her voice chokes a bit. “There can only be one true Warrior. And there can be no doubt of who that is. If Erik and I had other children, especially boys, there would always be some doubt about which child was truly the One. The Light and Dark courts could each pick a different child and use that to who knows what? It would also tear our family apart.... and neither Erik nor I would let that happen. Wish said there would be more children, born of love not pain. Even adopted children or foster children would not fit with the Prophecy.”

Leaning back in her chair Raina sighs.. “You're probably right. I hadnt thought about it like that.” Her gaze shifts from Star to Ruarc. “He doesnt look like much of a warrior yet...” Raina teases. “And I hope he doesnt turn into a sourpuss like my brother..”

Star laughs, “Erik is not a sourpuss...”

“You should have known him before. He never laughed and smiled like he does now, since he met you.”

“And I never talked much until I met him...” Star is interrupted by Lobo, trying to lay her head on the babys stomach.

“You should get some rest. Alise is coming back tomorrow and I am sure all the kids will be with her. Tomas is over the moon that you have a boy. Just wait a few years...I can already see the mock battles and fights...” Raina smiles at the thought and remembering the trouble her and her brothers got into.

Star lays Ruarc next to Erik and snuggles under the blankets as Raina tucks her in. Raina leans over and kisses Stars cheek, then Ruarcs. When she kisses the side of Eriks head, his wrinkled nose and slight grin tells her that he has been listening...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments... we get comments....