Tuesday, April 19, 2011









Okay, I've been put in my place… and by a five-foot-nothing woman, to boot!

It shouldn't surprise me, though. Raina's told me what Alise has been through with the werewolf and his crew. I look at this tiny creature, no bigger than Star herself, and I wonder… would I have fared as well?

Or Star herself, for that matter. Her mother burned as a witch while she watched, herself raped and beaten nearly to death - and she came back stronger than ever.

And then there's me.

I've been in many a battle, been wounded more times than I can easily count, and it was just business as usual. But this wound is emotional, and it comes so near my heart that I wonder if I can survive it.

But do I have a choice? I have a son now… whatever may happen to Star, I still have a responsibility to him, and to Mera. I can't abdicate that responsibility, no matter what.

I smile when I remember Alise's words, spoken in words as firm and strong as the gates of Asgard: "Star is going to get better, I will not believe otherwise."

Maybe I should take a page from Alise's book.

I look down at the child in my arms, really seeing him for the first time, and some of my control returns. "Well, little man, let's see about getting you fed. Your mother's going to want to see you when she wakes up, and Gods help me if you're still hungry."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments... we get comments....