Thursday, April 21, 2011









Later in the night Star awakens to the sound of whispering next to her bed. She opens her eyes slowly and Rowan is there, speaking softly to Erik, who is holding Ruarc.

They look so serious, I wonder whats wrong....

Star struggles to sit up, getting Erik and Rowans attention. “Whats wrong? Is Ru okay? Is there something you arent telling me?”

Erik smiles, already shortening his name... He and Rowan exchange a glance, further frustrating Star.

“Tell me, I can feel something wrong.. What is it?”

Rowan sits on the bed and takes Stars hand. She starts to explain the details of the babys delivery to Star and that there was no other way to repair or stop the bleeding. Erik watches as Stars face loses what little color it had gained during the day, the dark circles under her eyes stand out in sharp contrast to the paleness of her skin. Tears silently slip down her cheeks and Erik feels his heart constrict hard...

“No more babies?” Star asks in a quiet broken voice.

“I'm sorry sweetheart, no, there wont be.” Rowan fights to control her own voice.


In the library, Raina and Tannr are laughing, playing chess and teasing one another when Raina starts to sense an odd panicky feeling at the fringes of her awareness. Who is that? Not Tannr...

She looks around the room and Tannr asks, “Whats wrong?”

“I dont know. I can feel something or someone, scared or panicked...” Raina stands and as she does so the feeling increases tenfold. Blinding all encompassing fear... then she hears the sobs... “Its Star... what the hell??” and Raina leaves the room and rushes to Stars room.

Pausing in the doorway, Raina takes in the scene in front of her. Her brother is cradling Star, rubbing her back and Rowan has the baby.

Star leans back and looks at Erik, “Y..yyou wont leave mm..me will you?”

“What? Leave... NO! Why would I do that? I love you, I am not going anywhere.” Erik says adamantly.

“But you come from a large family. I dont want you to be unhappy..” Star tries to wipe her tears.

Erik sighs, running a hand over her face and tipping her chin up he says, “You make me happy. Thats all I need. We have Ruarc and Mera. Its fine Star, it really is. And I am not going anywhere.”

Rowan says to the pair. “And it doesnt mean that there wont be more children in your lives if thats what you want. There could be other fosters like Mera and you know I have had to find adoptive parents for a couple little ones that the moms couldnt care for.”

Star nods and looking to Erik asks quietly, “That would be all right with you?”

“Yes. Absolutely. The family I come from is a mix of parents and half siblings and adopted kids...' Eriks voice trails off as Raina approaches the bed.

“He's right. We didnt even know how many kids there were at any given time. One day we had six and the next there could be ten and a month later a few more...” Raina laughs, “It was pretty crazy sometimes. But father treated them all as his own, no one was ever left wanting...”

Raina could sense Star calming and the fear leaving her as they visited. Raina wondered if her brother knew how very lucky he was. Star loved him beyond all reason, the children too. Raina smiles as thinks to herself, I hope she doesnt start bringing home babies like she does with the animals....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments... we get comments....