Monday, April 25, 2011









I'm in the shadows of the parking lot watching as Jack and Rowan drive up. Before they can get the doors open, I'm beside the truck, waiting.

"Did you get it?"

"Yeah… whatever 'it' is…."

"Never mind now. Gimmegimmegimme!"

Smiling, Rowan hands over the envelope and I head back into the Tavern. I grin as I overhear Jack: "Wonder what's up his ass?"

Wouldn't you like to know, Jack…?

I focus my hearing until I pick out a particular heartbeat, then follow it to where Tori is either dancing or screwing Tannr - maybe both at once, who knows? "May I cut in?"

Tannr stares nonplussed as I dance away with Tori. She laughs at the expression on his face as I swirl her into motion.

"Woo, Nick… you're quite the vigorous dancer."

I grin and wink. "That's what they tell me… can I get you a drink or something?"

"No beef blood."

"You have my word."

"Then maybe a little white wine?"

"You got it." I dance her over to Monty and place the order, then watch as she sips. "Tell me something, Red… would you like to do something nice for Rowan?"

"I wondered what you were up to… sure, what?"

I hand her the envelope. "We have our home computer, but none of us is as good with it as you are."

I watch as she sashays back to the space behind the bar where she's stashed her laptop. She brings it out, plugs the chip into the computer and watches while it uploads to the screen. A slow grin spreads across her face and then she starts to giggle, one hand going up to hide her mouth. Monty peeks over her shoulder and his eyes go wide, then he's grinning, too. Rowan and Jack are next, and as Jack heads back to his booth, he claps me on the back. "Nick, m'man, you've outdone yourself. Me, too."

And Rowan? She goes back and forth between looking shocked and laughing her ass off, the first time I've seen her unwind so far. She laughs till she cries, and then goes back to Jack's table and laughs some more….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments... we get comments....