Friday, February 11, 2011
Inari smiles as she hears the commotion from the entryway to the mess hall. The raspy voice was familiar, as was the swearing. She turned towards the door in time to see a flash of deep red hair and turquoise eyes and then was enveloped in a hug.
“Damn, its good to see you. I have missed you. No one yells at me about my language when you arent around...”
Inari laughs, returning the hug. “I imagine no one dares to. How are you and where have you been? Still fighting at the borders?”
K'thyri nods as a young fae brings them plates heaped with food. Inari thanks her, uncomfortable with being waited on. “I could have gotten our plates....” The fae cant stop staring at K'thyri's ears and she chuckles.
“The young ones are scared of my ears. The stable boy thought I was going to eat him for supper. What the hell do you tell the little ones about us?”
Inari laughs, “Of course we tell them you are demons, sent to eat them alive and use their bones for toothpicks and firewood...”
“You would, wouldnt you?”
The teasing is good-natured and the two banter back and forth like old friends do.
K'thyri tells Inari about the scuffle in front of the stables. “They must be taking a break, otherwise they wouldnt venture this far from the borders. Their commander hasnt stopped looking at you since you sat down..”
“Stop teasing. You can be so impossible. All you think about is sex, fighting, more fighting, sex...”
“Hey! You left out the drinking...” and both women laugh, the sound brings a smile to most of the soldie'rs faces.
After a few minutes, Inari regains her composure and asks K'thyri, “Seriously, why are you here? Not that I am not glad to see you, I am. The Wyldfae seldom come this way. Is the situation at the borders worse?”
“I dont know if I would say its worse, but its different. More intense maybe, fiercer.” K'thyri shrugs. “I needed a break. So I thought I would see what you have been doing. What has the queen got you doing these days? Anything interesting?”
Inari hesitates, “You could say that. I need to speak with her after I eat. Then it looks like I might be headed back to the human realm. If so, do you want to come along?”
K'thyri wrinkles her nose and sighs. “Sure. Why not? Maybe I can find some more children to frighten.”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments... we get comments....