Sunday, February 27, 2011








We have gathered on the patio, as has become our habit in the evenings. I look to Alise as I lay out my piercing kit, picking out the second smallest needle. Stoney leans against the patio railing, holding a worried Tomas. The little boy watches the shiny needles, glancing at his sister often.

"Are you sure you want to use those earrings?" I get a stubborn feel from Tara. "Ah... I see how it is. Ali, are you sure there is not Romanavich in this child? She is more stubborn than Josi at her age."

Tara watches quietly. She has an image of the earrings gracing her ears planted firmly in her mother's mind. "Those are the ones she wants, Silk. It seems Chloe told her it didn't hurt at first, and then just a little later on."

The little one stares up at me with dark lavender eyes. I smile at her and she smiles back. "Alise, Re'mi, keep her mind with yours, and if possible keep Tomas out of her head. I am going to pinch her earlobes to numb them, then pierce them. It will not take long if Tara remains still."

Tara looks at Chloe who coos to her. I have no idea what she is trying to say, but the feeling is positive and supportive. I pinch quickly and Tara jerks, looking up at me. Her eyes well with tears, but she does not cry. She stiffens herself as I dot her ears with a pen to make even holes. When I am satisfied with the placements, I quickly pierce the needle. Moments later the earrings are in place.

Tara reaches up and I capture her hands. "No no, mi *pequeño tesoro. Do not play with them. I will let ma'man and pa'pan know how to take care of your ears until they heal."

Tara's gaze finds Star, then drifts to Mera. Her eyes find mine and her brow furrows, trying to put an image in my mind. I get the gist of it and laugh. "Goddess child! Mera and Tomas too? Well, you will have to talk with your parenti about Tomas, and your brother may not want earrings. As for Mera, well, we will have to talk to her papa about that, no? I do not think he would object, but we do not have earrings for them."

She holds her hands out to me, and to Pandora. We both smile, fighting back laughter. "Little one... My earrings and Aunt Pandora's are too big for such tiny ears."


*my little treasure

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments... we get comments....