Sunday, February 27, 2011









One day I'm gonna have to pound Jack, just on general principles....

I extend a hand to Raina, help her get up without making her look weak; I know how she hates to feel helpless, and looking helpless would be nearly as bad. I get her into the line, then move to my position and call Johnny to my hand. K'thyri comes to stand by Raina, ostensibly just chatting but also providing needed support. Good girl.

I spare a glance for Morgan. She's made some effort toward cleaning herself up, gods know why. I wish I could read her face, but the expressions are too fast, too fleeting. Does she regret, I wonder, the actions that brought her to this place? Or does she only regret getting caught?

I look away with an effort. She's a predator; so am I. It took becoming a vampire to show me what I had been all along. I was never much of a one for regrets, though there are some; it always made sense to me to prey on those that wouldn't be missed, the rogues that would be culled from the herd anyway, if human society worked in any sane fashion.

Today we cull another, and good damn riddance….


"Begin."

Someone gives Morgan a shove and she begins to stagger-run between the lines of sudden death. Miko takes flight, his steel pin jabbing fiercely, over and over. Ob waits until Morgan is even with him and slashes Silk's scimitar across the backs of Morgan's legs. She stumbles, screaming at the burn of steel. Raina takes a swing and almost overbalances; K'thyri steadies her and Raina's backhanded cut takes Morgan across the chest, cutting deep, almost certainly nicking the pericardium. Erik hits somewhere between shoulder and neck and a great gout of blood goes up. Probably broke the collarbone, too…. I go with one quick surgical cut along the thigh, slashing the femoral artery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments... we get comments....