Tuesday, February 1, 2011









I'm sitting in our booth, almost dozing when there's a mosquito whine by my ear and one of the demifae - fair-skinned, with purple wings and hair - is hovering before me.

She speaks so quickly it takes my ears a while to catch up, but finally the import of her words sinks in. The list has arrived; go see Keon.

I stand, Star with me, and find Keon's table. We make our way through the crowd and stand together before the Dark Lord.

"Keon," I say, using his name for the first time. "I'm told the list has arrived. May I?"

Keon proffers the list and I scan it quickly but thoroughly. I settle on a two-handed broadsword with a silver blade. This is the kind of blade I was first trained with, and it will do well for the duel. Keon's eyes glint with sardonic amusement when I tell him of my choice.

"It happens that that is also the kind of blade your opponent is most familiar with. It will be a close contest indeed."

"I leave it to you to choose the place for the duels. It should be private, with plenty of room to move, and mostly level ground. Other than that, I don't really care."

Keon nods. "I know of such a place. All will be in readiness at the appointed hour. You and your lady should rest now; tomorrow will be a busy day…."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments... we get comments....