Sunday, February 13, 2011
I notice the direction of Raina's gaze and follow it to the woman standing by Inari.
Well! One of the Wyldfae, here in the Human Realm! They seldom venture beyond the Unformed Plane, and it's almost unheard of them to come so far as this, but if anyone could persuade them, it would be Inari.
She's a pretty little thing with a feral look in her eyes, and those ears...! In times past, the Wyldfae who've come to this Realm have been mistaken for the Court Fae, and the results have generally reflected no credit on the Courts - or the Human Realm. They don't call them the Wyldfae for nothing....
She must be convinced that Star will be the mother of the prophesied Champion. The Wyldfae don't offer their fealty lightly, but once they have, they are yours till death.
Their fighting prowess is legendary, too. I'd rather fight a woodchipper than a Wyldfae; my chances would be better.
She's wearing simple leather armor - although parts of it, chiefly the suede-like loincloth arrangement, hardly qualify as armor. it looks like a divided skirt, split high on the thighs, with a long central drape front and back. I've seen this worn before; it allows for complete freedom of movement, whether riding or fighting, while still granting a modicum of modesty.
"Modicum" being the operative word....
There's about an inch of bare tanned stomach to be seen, then a close-fitting vest that laces in front. Again, the emphasis is on freedom of movement; the Wyldfae tend to be athletic, with a certain natural acrobatic flair that those of us of the Courts have to work to attain.
She wears suede boots and a leather thong keeps her red hair pulled back and out of her eyes. Her sword... I'm at a loss how to describe it, but I'll try.
It's of moderate length, mostly straight along the upper edge, except for a serrated area - about six inches or so - just beyond the hilt. The lower edge is mostly straight, too; then it flares out into a wicked clip point.
I can tell you this much - I'd hate to find myself facing the pointy end.
I've been gawking like someone newly come to town, and I guess it's pretty obvious. When my eyes meet her own turquoise eyes, she stares right back with the hint of a sly smirk on her lips. Nick and Raina are grinning at my reaction; but I notice that Raina is staring, too.
Nick's voice snaps me out of my scrutiny. "Uh-oh," he says lightly. "Looks like we've got competition, lover."
"You can't really blame him, Nick... she is a pretty thing. What kind of elf is she, Gareth? She is an elf, right? But her ears are way different than yours...."
"You've heard me speak of the Unformed Plane, a place claimed by neither Court." Raina nods. "She is of the Fae who dwell there. My people - those of the Dark, too - call them the Wyldfae. They are considered less civilized than those who belong to the Courts, but I have noted that they are mostly just less unpretentious than Court elves. They tend to be more spontaneous, for no one is paying too close attention to his neighbors' business. They are in some ways similar to the Gypsies of the Human Realm, but more aggressive. Then again, on the Unformed Plane, they have need to be."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments... we get comments....