Friday, February 11, 2011
The room is quiet, save for the buzzing of the demifae. Gareth's words have stopped all conversation. Keon watches from the stairs. From the glow around the bottles, Keon can tell at least one of the wines is tainted with Bloodbane, as well as the plastic bear of honey. Twillon and Torrent's footsteps stop on the stairs behind him. Ramji melts from the shadows, Guunnar on his heels.
"Morgan has struck again, has she not?"
Erik draws Star closer. Monty nods, telling of the fruit basket, the stores of food and the new delivery of alcohol. Keon nods and the others join him as he moves to the bar.
"Even the honey. She targeted those she saw as an obstruction. The demifae see too much for her comfort. Nick took Gareth from her. Erik turned her down, choosing Star..." A frown passes between his eyes. "Monty, I need to pay my room for the next two weeks. If I am not here, I want Cassie to stay in it. This is the safest place I think."
At the startled looks, Keon sighs. "I told her my tastes run in other directions. I think she may be the one having Cassie watched. Sir Gareth? I assume you will want to stay by Raina and Nick's side? Guard their backs, so to speak?"
Gareth nods, gaze glancing towards the upper floor. His voice is cold, tight. "I cannot leave them at this point, Dark Lord. I believe my place is here, for now. Morgan Bloodmane knows not what she has stirred in this Hall."
Keon turns to Twillon.
"Twill, the Crowns should be warned. I will carry word to My Queen Mab, Will you carry word to your Queen Titania? I was thinking someone should give witness that Sir Gareth is faring well on this side of the Veil." He looks to Guunnar. "Isn't Herne delivering someone to the Dark Court?"
Guunnar nods. "I stay. Ramji will ride mit you. Go as Dark Lord and Herne's Rider. That way neither is offended."
"I will stay as well." Torrent leans against the bar, peering closely at the bottles. "This is not all Bloodbane. There is arsenic and some more mundane poisons. I also wish to stay and watch over Grace."
Monty moves behind the bar and begins to lay swords on the counter top.
Twillon opens his hand to the small demifae with tattered and crumpled
wings.She steps carefully into his hand, using his thumb for balance. He raises her before his eyes.
"Mistress Weebit, I ride for the Shining Court, Willst thou ride with me and give Testament to Queen Titania?"
The demifae bows her head and curtsies. Her voice is piping, like a songbird. "'Twould be an Honor to meet the Golden Queen, but I fear I have nothing fit for Court."
"I am sure, Little Mistress, that your People can find something suitable? There are so many lovely demifae in this Hall to ask for assistance."
Inari smiles at the little woman. "I too ride for Court. Shall we see what can be found?"
She offers her hand to Weebit, who steps into her hand very carefully. The demifae blinks almond shape eyes at Inari. A cluster of females gather at a table, giggling. Inari carries her to the table and shields her from the men in the room. Moments later she carries Weebit back. Tears shine in the black eyes of the crippled fae.
" I am... I look a Lady."
Twillon smiles at Weebit. "Always, Mistress. You have ever been a Lady. We shall Ride when the Emissary is ready."
Strapping his blade to his hip, he swings back his pale hair. "Wouldst My Lady ride in her customary place?"
Weebit nods and he helps her to his shoulder, settling herself in the collar of his tunic, she ties a few strands of his hair around herself.
"At Ambassador Inari's pleasure."
He bows slightly, smiling.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments... we get comments....