Friday, February 11, 2011
Cassie opens her eyes as Keon slips into the room. He smiles into her sleepy eyes, marveling at their depth. The seas at night, he thinks, and kisses the tip of her nose.
"Cassie," he kisses her again, not wanting to go, but knowing he had to. "I need to ride to the Dark Court."
Cassie sits up and starts to reach for her clothes. His hand covers hers. "No mela. I need you to stay here. I need you safe."
A flash of doubt flickers, Keon kisses her again. "I will be back as soon as I can. If it is only a few hours in Faery, it could be days here. I paid Monty for two weeks. If it is longer he will make a bill."
Moving to the dresser, Keon picks up his sword and begins to strap it in place. Cassie says nothing as he buckles his boots. As he braids back his hair, he watches her in the mirror. Her jaw is tight, emotions surfacing, then gone, hidden behind that tight jaw. He moves to the bed and takes her hand. She tries to pull it away and he refuses to let go.
"Cassandra, listen to me. I need to know you are here, safe among our friends. We Sidhe are a dangerous People. We oft times say things that are double meanings. If I felt it safe to take you to Court, I would, and gladly." Keon sits by her side and turns her palm upwards. His thumb strokes lightly along the delicate webs between her fingers.
"Casandra.. I will be back. I cannot stay away from you. I am... If anything happened to you, I would be... lost." His thumb stills, lids droop to shield her from his gaze. "I am a dangerous person, Cassandra. You are someone rare and precious to my heart. You are the Moon to my Night, the bright and shining point in the darkness I live within."
He pulls her against him, breathing her scent deep. He holds her until she relaxes into his arms.
"Herne is taking a traitor to Queen Mab. I ride to speak to them both. Ramji is coming as my second. Twillon rides to Queen Titania with Inari. Lord Torrent is staying to watch over Grace and Guunnar is staying here. There are the demifae, the Gargoyles and their families. The shifters, Monty, Raina and Erik and their companions. You are safest here. Wait for me Cassie. Promise me you will stay here until I return. Skip classes if you have to. But stay here..."
"... promise. I promise Keon." She raises her head from his chest, resting her cheek against his shoulder.
He kisses her gently. "Then get dressed mela, and see me off as the Ladies of the Courts would see their lovers off to Duty."
Soon Keon and Cassie slip into the back lot. Ramji holds the reigns of their horses, talking to Torrent and Guunnar, Trooper paces among the shadows, red eyes eerie in the predawn.
"Ah Ke! Twill, Weebit, and Inari left. Torrent sent word, there will be three Dark Lords waiting at the crossing."
Ramji looks around as three Riders move out of the shadows. Dimitri bows and the Riders mount up. Ramji follows. Cassie watches as Keon mounts. He leans from horseback sliding his hand along Cassie's cheek. Her hand covers his.
He reaches up and removes a silver earring. He clips it through the collar of her t-shirt. "I will be back for that." He kisses her, whispering against her lips, "and you. I will be back for the woman who holds my love in her hands."
Releasing her, he sits straighter, holding her eyes with his.
She smiles slowly. "You better, Sidhe Lord. I'll stay, but if it takes too long. I am collecting Guunnar and a few others and coming to get you." Guunnar crosses his arms, suppressing laughter as he watches. "It's a promise, Blackthorn."
He nods, winking. With a final blown kiss, he turns his stead into the shadows. The Riders follow. Trooper bounds back to Cassandra, waiting for Guunnar and Torrent to join them. Other eyes watch from the shadows as the quartet slip back inside.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments... we get comments....