Tuesday, February 8, 2011








The afternoon is gone, evening edging closer. My cousin and his Kin will be back among us soon. Mi amor is in an intense state, having locked himself in his lab for hours. He asks me if I have any knowledge of a poison called Bloodbane, having spent so much time among other Realms.

He is analytical as he tells me the symptoms, but I see the worry. I have no knowledge of this poison, but know someone who might. I flip open my phone and hit speed dial. A sleepy voice answers. Someone has been dozing the afternoon away.

"Aye, ye have me, what have ye?"

"Keon."

He is suddenly alert. I hear a murmur and he is with me again.

"Aye. Trouble?'

"No, I just need to pick your brain."

Silence for a moment. "Sorry, was napping, am with ye now. What knowledge are ye seeking?"

I look to Magnus and put the phone on speaker, laying it between us.

"What do you know of a poison called Bloodbane?"

Again the silence.

"Practical knowledge or cerebral?"

"Either Ke. We seek a way to treat it."

He chokes. I have a passing wonder of what liquid he has just spewed across the room. There is a muttered damn, damn, damn and a female's voice.

"Give me a second." His voice is muted. "Cass, mela..." I don't hear the rest of it, but he returns to the conversation quickly. His voice now is the one he has when Hunting, the words are stilted, lacking the soft burr of Eire.

"Bloodbane has no known antidote. It is highly illegal in both Courts. To be caught with any trace is an immediate execution, no questions asked. Even The Queens' Assassins are forbidden its use."

He is quiet. I begin to think he has told me all he can, but he speaks again. His voice is tense, words carefully chosen.

"We have seen its use. We tracked a manufacturer once. Followed him as he picked his flowers and distilled their poison. He tested it. Satisfied with the excruciating death, he bottled it. Where he meant to send it, we do not know. He took the contents himself when he realized there was no escape."

Again there was silence. Keon rarely spoke of a Hunt or Job. He knew I would not ask if it were not important.

"Keon..."

"Why do you need knowledge of Bloodbane?"

Magnus says nothing, listening.

"Because someone has given it to Nick."

"Only a Fae would know of it. Only those of the Unformed Plane would dare its use... We didn't take anything from the lab, not that I can remember... We set the bloody place aflame and watched it burn from a safe distance. Let me call Twillon. He took a room at the Tavern, as Torrent was in no shape to go back to Faery. I will call you back as soon as I can."

The line goes dead. I click the phone shut and drop my head in my hands and do something I have not done in a long time. I pray.

Goddess, help them find something to help Nick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments... we get comments....