Monday, September 3, 2012








In the darkest hours before dawn, Rowan and Marc lay together, Rowans head resting on his chest as their breath returns to normal and heartbeats slow after hours of passion.

“Cherie... we need to talk...”

“Dumping me already?” Rowan grins and teases.

“No... never... but we do need to talk about my work... and yours... I can be gone for months at a time, with very little time off... or at least I have never had a reason to take any time off until now..” Marc kisses Rowan gently. “And it could be that one day I dont come back... if that happens one of my men or a demifae will bring a message...”

Rowans eyes go wide realizing what he meant. “Dont talk like that... I dont even want to think about...”

“I know. But it easily can happen. No one can predict their death. We need to be honest Rowan, brutally honest with one another if we want to make this work for us.”

Rowan nods, swallowing hard.

"I don't want to say this, but I must. I hope it won't make a big difference in the way you feel, but we have to be honest with each other, even when the truth in unpleasant." He pauses, holding her eyes. She waits as if she has all the time in the world. "In the Unformed Plane, doing the work I do... sometimes there are other women. If I'm lucky, some of these women can be called 'friends', like Lily.  None are what I would call lovers." He searches her eyes, waiting to see anger, hurt, betrayal.

It isn't there.

Instead Rowan smiles and lays a finger over his lips, “Shh... its fine. I am not a child, I understand... I dont expect promises that cant be kept... and I know what happens after battle...”

Marc smiles, “Its not all the time, but once in awhile you just need... I dont know how to explain it... release... a feeling of some normalcy.... But when I am here... I can tell you, you are the one I want to see, to be with, to spend my time with..  and I know your work does not allow you a lot of free time... but I do not expect you to wait around for me, that would not be fair...”

“Well, if I know you are coming, I can get someone to cover for me. If not, you may have to put up with a sudden exit.” Rowan pauses, thinking. “I can promise you this... if I am the one you want to be with when you are here, then I wont bring another man to my house...”

Marc starts to object and Rowan sits up, the covers slipping back, the moonlight framing her nude body. “There are other places to go if I feel the need to... to see someone else. I want you to be able to come here, to me when you can.”

“Mamselle, I think we have a deal.” Marc grins. “And deals should be sealed with a kiss... or other things...” He urges her to her knees; then, with his hands on her waist, he eases her astride his lap, poised to sink down on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments... we get comments....