Wednesday, July 20, 2011








The word of Rath's capture reaches me quickly and I waste no time making my way to the Tavern, stopping only to snatch up a Victorian-style doctor's bag. I observe the traffic laws, but make all haste. I am told that Nekron was in part responsible for the older vampire's capture, and I can hardly credit that he had the forethought to permit him to retain his sorry existence. Still, lest I hurry, Nekron will have every chance to repent his leniency and correct his supposed error.

It is with a measure of relief that I see that Rath still lives - whatever that may mean in his case - though he is manacled with sorcerous bonds and surrounded by such a circle of hateful faces as the gods forbid were ever clustered around me. Lord Adrian follows hard upon my heels and with his entrance the multitudinous growl softens. His eyes are hard as diamond as he sits and fixes his gaze upon his errant brother.

"My friends and neighbors, " I say, and the murmuring stills to near-silence - "tonight has seen a battle on many fronts, a battle that has been long in coming; one that has claimed many lives, though thankfully few have come from our friends. From that battle we have gained prisoners - and we must know all that they know if we would avoid further needless bloodshed in our community. Nor can we afford to be dainty in how we obtain this information, for knowledge is power, and we need all the power we can raise against this our enemy if we are to defeat him at last. In fine, my friends, we will encourage our captives to speak of their own free will - but if harsher methods are needed, they must and shall be used. This wretch" - here I point to Rath - "knows much, and it is he that I would put to the question first. But ere we employ those harsher measures of which I have spoken, let us give him a chance to confess himself - here, now, with his brother looking and listening, that all things may be done by law and in order. Lord Adrian" - I offer a bow to the vampire - "if you have any influence with your brother, I implore you to use it to spare him pain."

The vampire lord rises, his face like stone. "Stefan, I offer once, and once only. If you will tell all you know without further persuasion, I will do all I can to see that your punishment is not too onerous. Refuse me now, and you refuse forever. Will you speak?"

Rath's only response is to spit at his brother's black-clad figure. Lord Adrian stares at him, his face a mask, then sits without another word.

"It then falls to me to ask more forcefully," I say, opening the bag and removing a soft leather roll. I untie the thongs and unroll it along the tabletop. "I do not boast when I say that I am an expert with these instruments. I can keep you conscious and in pain for far longer than it will take to loosen your stubborn tongue. I ask but once more, and it will be the last - will you speak?"

It is then that Nekron snaps.

"I'll make him talk!" His flamberge appears in his hand and he lunges.

"Hold, vampire!" It is Mistress Nyx who speaks, and Nekron freezes, blade poised, but unable - for the moment - to deliver the fatal thrust. Mistress Nyx saunters over, a terrible smile on her face. Her next words are for Nekron, too - and possibly for Rath as well. "This one is mine." She takes Rath's face between her palms and her colorless eyes meet his. "Talk to me, little vampire."

Rath's eyes go wide when he realizes that he cannot look away, her words echoing and re-echoing in his brain. Talk to me....

The words come reluctantly, as if dragged forth on cruel barbed hooks. Then it is as if a dam bursts, and the words spill out - faster, faster - tumbling over each other in their haste to be free; faster still, till the result is a Babel of incoherence. Mistress Nyx releases Rath with another cruel smile and the vampire goes to his knees, his hands coming up to cover his face, trembling convulsively; but too late. We know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments... we get comments....