Monday, July 18, 2011









I groan as I stagger in the door. Patrol was uneventful, but I feel like I've been riding herd on the Winnie-the-Pooh gang. Somehow, someone traded up with me so that I got the bulk of our new shifter kids tonight. Ugg. Nina wasn't too bad, just foaming-at-the-mouth eager, but the rest had tp be reminded - frequently - that this is life and death we're talking about. You'd think being hunters, they'd know that; but I guess if you're a predator, you get used to being the biggest, baddest thing out there, and you don't worry overmuch about running into something that can take you out.

I close the door quietly, careful not to wake the kids. I slip into their room and check on them - sound asleep. I move next door to our room - and there's Star, smiling, stark naked, waiting.... "See anything you want?," she says and giggles.

It's a couple hours later when we finally call it a night, happily, thoroughly exhausted....


I grope myself back from sleep, my eyes feeling crusty, at the scent of pancakes. Pancakes? I throw on a robe and fumble my way into the kitchen - and no, I wasn't mistaken. Keon is at the stove making pancakes while Tannr is supervising the coffee maker. He hands me a mug. "Morning, bro. You look like you could use it."

"Get in late last night?"

"Nah, we spent the night in your stable, talking." He gestures. I look, and Tori's perched on the roof like a bizarre weathervane.

Star wanders into the kitchen next, looking almost engulfed by her robe. She perks up some when she sees breakfast being prepared, sits down at the table and accepts a cup of some indefinable juice from Tannr. "Erik? You're going to be home for the next day or so, right?"

"Unless there's some kind of emergency, yes." I arch an eyebrow. "Why? You have plans for us?"

She just gives me that smile. "Oh... no reason... just in case...."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments... we get comments....