Wednesday, November 2, 2011









Inari slipped quietly into the tavern halfway through the meal. She pauses in the same spot Star did and looks for K'ythri. She was sitting with Gareth, laughing at something that Raina just said when she looked up and saw her old friend. Excusing herself she hurries over to the edge of the room and hugs Inari fiercely.

“I was wondering if you were going to show... Where have you been?”

Inari returns the hug and smiles. “We found the little ones mother...” She glances towards the boys sitting with Stoney and Alise.

“Oohh... dont tell him tonight. The kids are having a ball... Can it wait until tomorrow?””

Nodding slowly Inari says, “It can. I need to speak with Star about the burial arrangements and planned to do that tomorrow. I can tell her then.”

Before Ky can respond, Guunnar has spotted Inari and raises his glass and his voice. “To the Ambassador!”

Monty hands Inari a glass on his way by with another tray. She raises her glass and steps from the shadows. “To the Warriors...” She walks around the tables and stops behind Tannr. “All I did was keep this one from running off by himself...” She bends down, her words quiet, “Well done Tannr. If determination were all it took you could have brought her home without anyones help.” Turning to Tori she squeezes the gargoyles shoulder, “You are a lucky woman. Welcome home.”

Tales were told and various toasts were made, the group in high spirits. Erik looked at Star, seated next to him, and noticed she had barely touched her food.

“Princess... whats wrong? You usually love Montys cooking...”

“I do. .its just that...” Stars words trail off her voice quiet and close to tears. Her gaze takes in the group gathered, all Warriors in one way or another and their families. She understands the laughing and celebrating but she felt they were all forgetting something.

Scooting her chair back, Star stands slowly. Those seated near her fall silent and gradually the entire room quiets.

Taking a ragged breath Star tries to speak past her tears. “I... I think... I mean...” She closes her eyes for a second and centers herself. “I think we need to take a moment to remember those that are no longer physically here with us. Ghaunt gave his life to save ours. He was a good man, a good friend. And he taught me that there is good in all people, and to not be so quick to judge.” Star raises her glass, “To my friend, Ghaunt.”

Glasses raised high and the entire group responds in one voice, “To Ghaunt!!”

Star smiles as she sips her raspberry wine then finds herself drawn into her husbands arms.

“I am unbelievably proud of you. I love you...”

Before Star can respond she finds herself pulled close to Tori. “I wanted to tell you that I am so sorry you lost your friend. And to thank you. That sounds crazy said together..”

“No, it doesnt. I understand.” Star smiles as she is hugged again and another toast is made to her and Tori.

Tori turns to the group, her glass raised. “Thank you all. I will try to talk to each one of you at some point tonight, but there are really no words. Thank you...” tears fill her eyes as her glance takes in loved ones and friends, “from the bottom of my heart.”

As she steps back she can feel her siblings love and support. Their quiet strength has helped her many times in her life. She didnt know what she would do without them and their families. Suddenly she is wrapped in Tannrs embrace and the group cheers again. She starts to laugh, “We better get to dessert or everyone is going to be too drunk to enjoy it.”

“I have something to add...” Tannr steps forward and addresses the group. “Something I think we are all guilty of from time to time. The fallacies of bigotry. I hated the Drow. Hated all of them and everything they stood for. There were reasons for that...good reasons... but it blinded me to the good Star saw in Ghaunt. I hated him at first and I didnt want my sister to be anywhere near him. But in the end he helped us save Tori... he saved us all. I could no more live without this woman than the air I breathe. I owe a debt that can never be repaid and I wasted precious time that could have been spent getting to know the man my sister knew instead of hating someone that did not deserve it. May we never be so quick to judge another...” Tannr raises his glass high, “and to Ghaunt... the bravest man I have ever known.”

As the group cheers and drinks Tannr can feel Toris love and pride. He turns and takes her in his arms, then leads her back to their places at the table.

Tomas perks up “Now dessert?”

Laughing Alise says, “Yes, there is dessert. If you two can sit still long enough to eat it... and do not feed any more of your food to Wolf and Lobo.”

Tomas and Robin exchange glances that tell everyone sitting close enough that they were indeed guilty of feeding Stars wolves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments... we get comments....