Wednesday, February 23, 2011








"Welcome to the Manse."

I stand with the gate open, cape billowing in the wind, Nemesis hanging at my hip. Now is not the time to drop my guard.

"If you will park your vehicles as Gnimaor indicates, we can walk the rest of the way. It is not far."

It is accomplished with a minimum of fuss; then I lead my little group into my home. Once past the vestibule, we enter one of several living rooms, and I turn to face my guests as Gnimaor sees to the heavy oak doors.

"When time permits, I will show you around, most especially to those parts of the Manse that are safe to visit. However" - my voice drops to a low warning tone - "there are many rooms within this dwelling, and many are unsafe for a variety of reasons, or they contain things that not for unfortified eyes to see. I ask that you respect this, and do not stray into those areas that will be clearly marked off-limits. Though I take my role as your host seriously, I cannot perpetually be rescuing you from perils that your own willfulness has thrust you into."

I look around, meeting each pair of eyes, and I am satisfied that my point has been made.

"That said, this need not be such a grim time. The Manse offers many things - food and drink, reading material, music of various kinds, a fine video library - which, much to my chagrin, contains the complete run to date of The Torture Chamber of Dr. Mortuis on DVD - exercise facilities… and above all, safety.

The elementals are at your disposal, to fetch and carry such things as you require, or to serve as guides within the buildings and grounds. Only make your wishes known, and it shall be done. Should you desire to speak with me, tell one of the sylphs - they can be distinguished by their blue coloration - and they will relay your message to me.

A meal has been prepared in the dining hall. If you will follow me…."

I lead the way, where a table has been set up with place settings for all, and a number of sideboards hold a variety of edibles, from cold cuts to roast chicken, steamed and grilled vegetables, fruit, and a bewildering plethora of desserts.

"Eat and drink as you please. I must leave you now, but know that I am at your disposal, should aught be failing. I bid you all a good night."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments... we get comments....