Tuesday, February 22, 2011








I went upstairs to gather the things I had ready for the baby... never dreaming she would come by them in quite this way... Ob came up behind me, prepared to bring the bassinette downstairs... knowing Keon would not let his daughter out of his sight.

I join Alise with her gathered blankets as we deacend into the room; both  of us still bear a shimmer of tears as we catch sight of Keon with his babe in his arms... what should have been one of the happiest days of his life will forever be twisted with the pain of losing Cassie.

Rowan explains when we gather near that Mera needs a special formula; the sea witch has brought the recipe and the child has enough sustenance for the night. I caress her face and admire her beauty... are all supernatural children beautiful?... I begin to think so.. .for Mera has the best of her father and mother. Her skin is not the blue that was so beautiful on Cassie... its more a soft ivory with a tint of blue between her fingers and near her gills... her hair  the black of her father, in soft curls... but in the light it has a hint of blue... her mother's gift. It is too soon to surmise what color her eyes will be... but already they are locked on her Da... as if she knows he is the only one she has.

Keon is pretty choked up; but you can tell how grateful he is to be among friends... the women swiftly take over and show him how to change a nappy and share some of their precious oils and salves prepared for their own babies. He is a fast learner and soon handles Mera as if he has always been around little ones instead of brandishing swords and causing the deaths of the ones Herne calls out for.

I stop to admire the locket round the baby's neck, and Keon whispers low... " 'Tis the likeness of myself and Cassie that lies within... a gift from the hag mother." I glance at her wondering what Obsidian fears so much; perhaps it is the way people build it up from rumors. In this instance she has proven to be a great help and comfort to Keon... and when I look on her I just see an aged and learned old woman, nothing like the stories Ob unfolded for me.

Mera seems enthralled with all of us women... an instinct I suspect... our soft voices seem to sooth her... and the goddess knows we all want to help. The night enfolds us all in the tavern as we share Keon's loss... and his joy....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments... we get comments....