Thursday, October 15, 2015


I watch, unseen and unsensed, as the men empty the building that will shortly become the school for the children of Exton. It was once the servants' quarters, but when the owners could no longer afford servants it was used for storage. I have entered it only once, to verify its structural integrity should I ever desire to put it to use. I recall that there was little unused space; but now I am amazed and amused at how much rubbish the former owners managed to accumulate - and then chose to store, rather than disposing of it outright.

Much of this refuse will be burned, but I am loath to destroy anything that may be of future use. I suppose that makes me little different from those who stored it here to begin with....

Tara wanders over clutching a doll. Where is her nanny? I wonder. Surely the child is not permitted to roam at will, not in a place where there is so much potential for accidents.... The child looks up, directly at where I stand. Does she have the power to penetrate my illusions? And if so, what other powers might she demonstrate in time to come?

Just then, Laila arrives, looking harassed. She has one child under her arm and two more toddle along at her side. She scolds Tara for wandering off, but gently; and she is careful to point out the reasons for the reproof, pointing out the hazards of the place. Tara listens intently, her eyes tracking Laila's movements - but as the children are led away, she looks back, just once, in my direction....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments... we get comments....