Friday, January 21, 2011









"There's no way that belonged to Star…" I say, and start to reach for the ring.

"Don't touch it!," Raina snaps. I freeze with my fingers two inches away. "Get a handkerchief or something. Maybe Mortuis can make something of it."

I can't find a handkerchief, but the bathroom yields up papier du toilette and I use some to pick up the ring and stow it away in my pocket.

Raina and I spend the next half hour searching the room, looking into and on top of and under everything. If there had been a larcenous mosquito in the room, we'd have found him. Apparently Star went in for the Spartan life, though, and her mother before her; there's nothing there that's not necessary and functional.

Three-quarters of an hour later, we have nothing but the ring and nasty memories. The atmosphere in that room is so thick that even I can almost smell it, and I'm nearly as psychic as a brick. We get out of there and Raina asks Star - still sitting outside - if she wants us to block up the room again. She gives a silent nod and together we put everything back as it was.

Outside again, Raina places a call to Mortuis, telling him we need his help in a matter that's more in his line than ours. A muscle clenches in my jaw as I listen. She snaps the phone shut decisively and turns to me. "Let's go, big brother."

"Where are we off to now?"

She smiles grimly. "We're off to see the wizard…."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments... we get comments....