Sunday, June 17, 2012









K'thyri and I are ahorse and riding for the Gate when I remember that Keon reset it. I slow just long enough to set it back to the correct destination, then we gallop through. The miasma of Underdark passes by in a blur, which is perhaps just as well... We see vague shapes through the ever-present mist, but whatever they are, they get out of our way. Elven silver may not be the same as Cold Iron, but even the monsters of Underdark don't want a silver horseshoe in their skulls. Assuming they have actual bones....

We nearly come to blows with the Ravens before they realize who we are. No words are needed; in a trice Tannr is lashed to Ky - we can't risk having him fall off, not at this speed - and I take charge of a groggy Ob.

"Get them to a healer as quick as you can," Marc says. "We'll remain behind to delay pursuit. Be sure to reset the Gate once you're past."

I nod and we spur our mounts into a sure-footed gallop that covers leagues in what seems moments. We encounter no opposition on our way - fortunately for the opposition. Ky's eyes are hot with fury; I don't envy any creature who meets her in this mood.

We're through the Gate now. I stop just long enough to reroute it to the alternate location and then we're in motion again. I flip open my phone and speed-dial.

"Rowan."

"Gareth. We have two seriously-injured patients for you. Have the mage lower the wards, we're on our way."

"No, just meet us at the clearing, we have everything we need."

The connection is severed and we thunder through the night, trying to outrace Death....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments... we get comments....