Tuesday, August 30, 2011









"Oh fuck, it's all going to shit," Ky gasps. "Get your ass up that tree!"

I spring and Ky grabs a handful of my ass and shoves, and I manage to make my way to my "nest" with a bare minimum of decorum and dignity.

"Don't move, Priestess" - my voice is calm, belying the thundering of my heartbeat, but it carries utter conviction - "or your goddess is going to suffer a sudden vacancy in her ranks - no you don't!" Ardara's bodyguards pitch forward without a groan, clawing at the arrows that seemingly explode from between their shoulder blades.

"That was stupid, Priestess." I'm irritated now. "Tell your people to back off - weapons and magic both - or none of you will go home today."

Weapons are dropped and the tingle of arcane energies stops at a word from the Priestess.

"That's good. Maybe you'll live to tell about this after all. Now my friends and I are leaving... I promise you, anyone who follows will die."

Now for the fun part... getting down this damn ugly tree without getting rushed. I sling my bow over my shoulder, slip an arrow into my belt, and rappel down the back of the trunk, keeping it between me and the Drow. I land in a crouch and immediately unsling the bow and nock an arrow. We back stealthily away, every sense stretched taut for treachery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments... we get comments....