Friday, June 10, 2011








It's been getting warmer the last few days and shorts and abbreviated tees are making their reappearance in town. This is a good thing, especially when a good number of them seem to find their way to the Tavern and manage to pass my booth....

I saw Tannr giving the kids gifts - wonder if he got an advance on his pay, or does he have savings somewhere? Laila makes ready to take them upstairs for beddy-bye and that's when the fireworks start. Apparently they heard that maman and papan were going to be performing tonight, and they're bound and determined to see it before they go to bed. There's some fussing back and forth, but ultimately the kids get their wish; they can stay up long enough to watch mom and dad do their thing, then straight to bed.

Kids.... I see something red from the corner of my eye and then Rowan sits down in front of me. "Is this seat taken?"

"Is it ever?"

She ignores me. She's wearing jeans and a scoop-neck t-shirt in a pale turquoise. It should look hideous next to her hair, but somehow it works. Then again, maybe it's the cleavage that it reveals and the color has nothing to do with it. Dammit, Jack, put your eyes back where they belong!

She sees where I'm looking, blushes slightly, then grins. "Well, it's my own fault, and I guess I can't blame you for being a guy.... It's okay, Jack, don't try to hide it. I'd rather you just be open about it than insult my intelligence and pretend you aren't looking.... How have you been lately?"

"Same ol', same ol'," I say, shrugging and trying not to stare. "Not much changes around Pax Eternum... truthfully, it's kinda dead."

She rolls her eyes, but she's smiling. "How are things going with you and Patti?"

I meet her eyes. "Isn't that considered kiss-and-tell?"

Another eye-roll. "Jack, please. Everyone knows you sleep together, at least occasionally. I'm not asking you to share the intimate details of your sex life, I'm just making conversation."

"Well... we get together now and then. Things have been busy lately, what with the ghoul thing and the Drow thing and all the other stuff that's going on." I shrug ruefully. "It's been a while... what about you and Traeger?"

"Pretty much the same. I think he'd like to have a real relationship, but I just don't have the time - and I'm not going to lead him on, pretending things are going to change soon. As far as I can tell, things are never going to change - so we have to get together as we can." She smiles. "Still... half a loaf...."

"Yeah." I remember my manners finally. "Can I buy you a drink?"

"Sure, why not?" She leans dangerously forward, smiling. "Whiskey and water."

I signal for a waitress, stunned into silence by the view.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments... we get comments....