Sunday, March 27, 2011








Raina has been alternately fuming at Rath and beaming at Nick since Laila was taken away. I think secretly she's proud of Nick for giving Rath a tiny piece of what he deserves; but at the same time, she doesn't want to encourage Nick to do it again; so it's been an interesting night, to say the least. It's a relief to catch my breath when K'thyri walks briskly into the tavern with the air of a job well done.

"Mission accomplished. Kitty is back with her mistress and asshole never even knew we were there." She smiles as she pats the hilt of her sword. "I almost wish he'd tried something. I'd love an excuse."

She walks over to Nick. "I have something to say to you, vampire."

Nick smiles cruelly, the red lights beginning to glow far back in his eyes. "Say on, elf."

"What you did was very hotheaded and very foolish. What if Rath has followers besides those brainless bitches that flock all over him? They could have hurt Laila worse while you were pounding on Rath."

Nick lowers his eyes in almost an apology, knowing she's right. But Ky isn't finished.

"Having said that, that was amazing. You were incredible. You gave him a dose of how it feels to be scared, and I'm proud of you." She winks in Raina's direction. "To the victor…" She steps close to Nick and kisses him, long and deep. For a moment, it's like the rest of us have ceased to exist and only the two of them are there in the room.

Moments later, the kiss breaks - reluctantly on both sides, I think; but unlike Nick, Ky does have to breathe. She turns to find Raina smiling, and I have to admit to a grin myself; Nick is hard to get to know, but he does tend to grow on you….

She seems to come back to herself all of a sudden. "I don't think I've ever seen anyone move that fast, not since that Viking Tannr took out two attackers with one swing. I don't think he intended it, though… he split one's skull with his axe, and then nailed the other one backhanded when he was winding up for another swing."

Raina's face freezes, her eyes wide and shocked; her lips part, as if to draw in a gasp. For a moment it seems as if she might swoon; but Raina isn't the swooning type and she's back to herself in a second.

"Raina?" Nick's voice, quiet and concerned. "Are you all right?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments... we get comments....